We start every school day with calendar time. It’s similar to circle time in preschools but obviously a bit different being there’s only one student. 😉 The following is our routine:
- State the date and write the date
- Months of the year song: (to the tune of 10 little Indians) January February March and April, May June July August September, October November and December, these are the months of the year.
- Days of the week song: (to the tune of Adams Family) There’s Sunday and there’s monday, There’s Tuesday and there’s Wednesday, there’s Thursday and there’s Friday, and then there’s Saturday; Days of the week (xx), days of the week (xx), days of the week days of the week days of the week (xx)
- Yesterday/tomorrow song: (to the tune of are you sleeping) Today is Monday, today is Monday; all day long, all day long; yesterday was sunday, tomorrow will be Tuesday; oh what fun, oh what fun!
- Count the days in this month so far
- Weather songs: (to the tune of Msrry had a little lamb) What’s the weather like today, like today, like today; what’s the weather like today; today it’s sunny. Followed by this song: (to the tine of bingo) this morning when I looked outside I saw the weather was sunny; S-u-n-n-y (x3); I saw the weather was sunny.
- Find the letter of the week
- Find the number of the week
- Address song: (to the tune of a tisket a tasket): my name is —-, this is my address; 123 my street lane, my town and my state.
- Phone number song: (to the tune of twinkle twinkle) I can call my mommy’s phone, I know what her number is–234-567-8901; I can call my mommy’s phone, I know what her number is.
- Bible verse of the week
- Make learning choices from choice chart